Thumby, a Tiny Playable Keychain by TinyCircuits
Thumby was funded by 4,502 Kickstarter backers in 2021, reaching more than 13 times its funding goal.
Thumby™ is an itty-bitty game system at the tips of your thumbs, a best friend for your keys, and an easy learning tool all-in-one. Start playing right away with preloaded games. Download more games and learn to program your own using the Thumby Code Editor Website!
Play & program using MicroPython
MicroPython is an implementation of Python 3 optimized to run on microcontrollers, like the Raspberry Pi RP2040 in Thumby! MicroPython is a great way to get started with learning how to program, or to quickly make a new game.
We created a Thumby MicroPython API (application programming interface), to make programming even easier! Using our all-in-one Thumby Code Editor, you are just a few tutorials away from creating your own Thumby program or game! The Code Editor also contains the Thumby Arcade where users publish their games for anyone to play and download to their own Thumby.
Navigate to the Code Editor documentation to learn more.
Play & program using Blockly
If you are new to programming and want to get started without touching a line of code, the Code Editor comes with Blockly mode, which lets you program visually with interlocking blocks! It couldn't be easier to get started programming games on the Thumby using the same kind of programming interface from Hour of Code and Scratch! You can even publish the games you make to the Thumby Arcade, just like with MicroPython!
Navigate to the Thumby Blockly tutorials to learn more.
Play & program using Arduino C/C++
Check out our documentation for the Arduino C/C++ library created for use with Thumby.
Thumby Tech Specs
- Processor: Raspberry Pi Pico RP2040 Processor
- Memory 2MB total storage
- Connectivity micro USB for programming & multiplayer using Thumby Link cable
- Outputs 72×40 px Monochrome OLED Display, Piezo Speaker
- Inputs 6 tactile buttons (4-way d-pad, 2 action buttons)
- Power Power switch, 40mAh Rechargeable LiPo Battery, ~2 hours of gameplay
- Dimensions 1.2 × 0.7 × 0.3" (29.5 × 18 × 8.5mm) - Sturdy polycarbonate plastic case with a built-in rechargeable battery and buzzer
- Programming MicroPython using the Thumby Code Editor or Arduino Code Editor - create your own games!
- Multiplayer support via Thumby Link cable
Reviews From Users
"Even photos of it can’t prepare you for just how small the Thumby is when you first pick it up"
"A fully operational handheld that you could very easily swallow if you're not careful." "That's even cooler than I was expecting it to be."
"Probably the World's Smallest Game Console"
"I am squealing at how adorable this is!!"-janedstv (TikToker)
"How small is this... roughly the size of the d-pad!"